Thank you to Sunkist for sponsoring today’s post and inspiring me to try seasoning with lemon as an alternative to salt!
Most people in the health and fitness world are conscious of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates, but how many of you actually look at the sodium content in your foods? To be honest, I rarely do! Since almost all Americans consume more sodium than necessary in their diet, Sunkist has introduced an initiate to substitute lemon for salt in pretty much any recipe that you would typically use salt! The handy infographic below gives some suggestions on flavoring with lemons instead of salt.
If you know me, or follow me on Twitter or Instagram, at some point you would have noticed that I LOVE chicken thighs. As in, not a week goes by that they are not on the meal prep menu, at least twice. I have a couple of recipes that I switch back and forth between, so when I had an opportunity to come up with a recipe using lemon, I had a strong foundation to start with and just had to make a couple tweaks!
Broiled Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 1.5 – 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2-3 Sunkist lemons
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature or melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat broiler on HI.
- Combine zest of one lemon, and juice of both lemons, garlic, and butter into a small bowl. Mash butter, if needed, or mix well if not.
- Toss chicken thighs into a bowl and coat with lemon-garlic mix from above.
- Fit chicken thighs into cast iron skillet, skin side down.
- Broil on HI for 10 minutes. Flip chicken thighs, and broil for another 10 minutes or until browned on top.
- Squeeze additional lemon on top for more flavor (optional!) and enjoy!
YUM! This was probably one of the first times I have ever used lemons in a recipe, and likely one of the few times I have ever not used salt in a recipe, and I was pleasantly surprised!
Click HERE for more recipes and ways to use lemons in place of salt!
Do you monitor your sodium intake?
Have you ever subbed an ingredient to make a healthier version of a meal?
Are you as obsessed with chicken thighs like I am?
Have you ever zested a lemon?